Loading
Loading ...
Navigation
Belgian Family Brewers Logo
Habbekrats Logo
29-06-2015

Brewery Huyghe is signing a long-term windenergy contract

It is no longer a secret that brewery Huyghe is serious about its goal to become the greenest brewer in Belgium. By signing a 3-year Seanergy contract Huyghe is reinforcing this statement. The wind energy is coming from the windmill park Bligh Bank, situated at sea, 46 km from the Belgian coast. The brewery is one of the first companies in Belgium to choose very consciously for green energy from wind turbines at sea. This green energy is a supplement to the brewery's own green energy provision (20% from solar panels).

Afther having invested for millions in a more sustainable infrastructure these last years, the brewery is now focusing on external factors in order to give the company an even greener profile. One of those is energy provision. Thanks to the installed solar panels the brewery is already self sufficient for 20% of its energy consumption. The remaining 80% of the energy need is now of 100% green origin, thanks to the signed Seanergy contract with Electrabel. Seanergy gets its electricity from a windmill park at sea (Bligh Bank) and the brewery is one of the first in Belgium to sign a long-term contract (3 years). This means that the brewery is again one step closer to its goal to become the greenest brewer in Belgium. This is also confirmed by Alain De Laet, CEO of the brewery: “We are approaching our goal, but at the same time it is getting increasingly difficult to continue to make further progress in terms of sustainability, because we already have realised so many things. Nevertheless, we continue to look for other green tracks, both internally and externally. 1 of our employees has been assigned specifically to closely follow the latest technologies and to investigate whether they can be implemented in the brewery." The brewery also has a fairtrade beer in its range – Mongozo – that is at the same time gluten free and also has the organic certificate. Mongozo accounted for 4.5% of the turnover in 2014 and the brewery aims to increase that share in the future.

Silver and Bronze for Delirium Tremens
The brewery has even more reasons to celebrate. Last week Huyghe won a silver medal with Delirium Tremens at the Australian International Beer Awards, although the competition was severe. No less than 1699 beers from all over the world were entered in the competition and in the category 'Specialty Beers' Delirium Tremens won a Silver medal. Again a real boost for the independent, family brewery from Melle. And also at the Mondial de la Bière Festival in Montréal the brewery won a prize: 85 breweries entered over 475 beers and here Delirium Tremens won a bronze medal. This brings the total number of awards won this year at 5. Earlier this year Delirium Tremens had already won a gold medal in Lyon and there were alos medals for La Guillotine and Averbode abbey beer.

Overview
Brewery Huyghe is signing a long-term windenergy contract